Pharmacy and Medicines Regulatory Authority (PMRA) is a Public institution established through an Act of Parliament No. 9 of 2019 under Section 3 of the PMRA Act with the aim of regulating Medicines and Allied substances, Pharmacy Profession, Pharmaceutical businesses and training of Pharmacy Personnel in Malawi. PMRA seeks to recruit a visionary, suitably qualified and experienced Pharmacist of Malawi origin with proven record and ability to drive organizational Change, to fill the position of Director General (DG) as detailed below:
Job Title : Director General
Grade : PMRA 1
Responsible to : The Board of Directors
Overall Purpose of the Job
The DG shall be responsible for ensuring that PMRA meets its mandate of regulating the Pharmaceutical Sector in Malawi and enforcing the provisions of the PMRA Act No. 9 of 2019; sustain and foster collaboration with relevant international organizations and Regulatory Agencies both at Regional and International level.
Job function: The Director General shall be responsible for the day to day administration of the Authority.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- To manage and administer the activities and operations of the Pharmacy and Medicines Regulatory Authority to achieve its objectives.
- Attend all meetings of the Authority and any Committee of the Authority and serve as Secretary of the meetings;
- He or she may also delegate any senior members of staff to attend and serve as Secretary at the meetings of the Authority and any of its Committee;
- To initiate and develop general policy framework for consideration by the Board within the legal mandate of the Pharmacy and Medicines Regulatory Authority Act number 9 of 2019.
- To identify programs and projects which meet the Board’s criteria for support, including fund raising and income generating activities.
- Directing, managing and supervising the Secretariat including all departments to ensure the work output is adequate and in line with the Authority’s objectives, policies and regulations and strategic plans.
- Evaluating all programs of the Authority prior to their submission to Board members for consideration.
- To provide continuous monitoring, controlling and reviewing of implemented and operating programs and to re-direct approaches where necessary to ensure optimum results in meeting the goals and objectives of the Authority.
- To submit regular reports of the Authority’s achievements against set indicators.
- To manage financial resources through timely preparation of budgets, proper and prudent financial controls, proper authorization of expenditure and to ensure that Authority’s property and equipment are safeguarded, insured and maintained.
- To plan for and ensure that financial audits are carried out timely and submitted to the Authority.
- To prepare schedules and agendas for Authority and Committee meetings and produce records of such meetings and distribute the same to each member.
- Develop and manage human resources by recommending, for employment, competent and properly trained staff. Assess staff performance on continuous basis and where the need arises provide necessary training support for personnel in various positions.
Requisite Skills and Personal Attributes
i) Excellent spoken and written communication skills;
ii) Must be knowledgeable and competent in standard computer packages.
iii) Strong organizational and analytical skills and ability to set priorities and work independently
iv) Proven ability to coordinate and lead diverse and multifunctional teams and achieve objectives within prescribed deadlines
v) Excellent team player and leader with abilities to accomplish multiple goals
vi) Visionary and honest, with high integrity and sense of responsibility; and ability to comply with and instill professional ethics
vii) Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in public speaking and correspondence
viii) Ability to work under pressure and handle complex tasks with tight deadlines while paying attention to detail
ix) Capacity to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of local pharmaceutical industry and the regulatory framework.
x) Must be highly organized and result oriented.
Qualifications and experiences
Applicants must have the following:
• A registered Pharmacist with a post graduate qualification in a pharmaceutically related field with at least seven (7) years Senior Management level experience in a reputable organisation
• High level of personal integrity with a proven track record and involvement in the Pharmaceutical Sector.
• Fully conversant with the provisions of the Pharmacy and Medicines Regulatory Authority Act No. 9 of 2019 and regulations.
• General management skills and knowledge.
Appointment and Remuneration
The successful candidate shall be offered a performance related contract of three (3) years renewable based on satisfactory performance with an attractive salary and benefits commensurate with seniority based on experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Submission of Application
Interested and qualifying individuals should submit their applications and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CVs), copies of Certificates and names of three traceable referees, clearly marked ‘VACANCY FOR PMRA DIRECTOR GENERAL’ to:
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations,
Department of Statutory Corporations,
New Building Office Block, Ground Floor, P.O. Box 30061, Lilongwe 3.
Receipt of applications will be closed at 16H00 on 18th June, 2021.
Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged and invited for interviews.
PMRA is an equal opportunity employer.